Monday, March 1, 2010

Maybe not such a good idea

Hopping on a tuk tuk wearing a dress.

okay okay

Crawling onto a tuk tuk at 10 o'clock at night in a Bangkok god-knows-where street wearing a dress & not getting off before it hits the open roadway.

Whoopsie daisy

This is a vehicle where you have to crawl across the small floor to get to the far end of the seating pad so your partner can step up to the platform. Doing this while wearing a dress with a broad skirt took an athleticism I wasn't aware I possessed. Okay, I know I can crawl, but I prefer to keep my crawling to pubs. It's 10 o'clock at night. We just got off the dinner cruise run by the Marriot and decided to get off at the Taksin public pier instead of taking the boat all the way back to the resort ghetto. We walk out onto the street & don't see a single vehicle. It's like Bangkok's been abandoned. However, the MRT station was right there. It was simple enough for us to naviagate. The problem was, the MRT doesn't go out to Khao San Road - the area where our hotel is.

So, we hop on & pay to remain in Zone 4. This is my closest guess as to proximity with Khao San Road. We get off at a station which ends at the Asia Hotel. The hotel has a monopoly on taxis, so when we don't want to pay 400 Thai Bhat (when we only paid 200 to get to the Marriot in the first place & that's still clear across town), we walk out the door naively assuming we'll be able to find transportation.

Again we were wrong. Or well, maybe not wrong, b/c a tuk-tuk is a form of transportation. It's a covered platform atop a motorcycle engine used by young people and people who can still squat. We find a driver who's willing to take us to our hotel for the agreed upon 100 TB and crawl on for the ride of our life.

Good thing the roof curves down so low it cuts off your view of anything except your neighbor's tires. I was able to focus on fighting my rising skirts instead of the near death experiences I'm sure would have converted me to something religious.

No comments: