Sunday, February 15, 2009

I give up

I’ve avoided working on a blog for years because if I don’t keep up my correspondence with my mother, my writing buddies or my college friends, I’m obviously not responsible enough to keep up a blog. A blog is a pet. It’s a responsibility. There are blogs I’ve read where I’ve fallen in love with the blogger’s wit, their POV, the theme, their writing style. They maintain the energy for three, four, six posts and then nothing – for four months- nothing. Then one day, a new post appears and they get seven posts up. And they stop. For a year. Or more.

Dave has pets, I don’t. I’ve refused to have a blog for the same reason. A blog must be fed and watered. If I forget to feed myself, feeding others is an even lower priority. A blog needs to have its hair brushed and toenails trimmed. I’m a walking bad hair day. So expect this: this blog will be active for a while & then a whole lot of nothing. I will have a passion for a period of time and then I’ll be curled up in a fetal position with my bankey and thumb-sucking will be my most demanding activity. I won’t care about the blog, I’ll be caring about my shattered psyche. I have no particular interest I can maintain for longer than my hair color. I will feel passionate for thirty minutes and then afterwards I’ll smoke a cigarette, roll over and fall asleep. The only promise I can promise to keep is that this will be one of “Those Blogs”, a peripatetic blog, a blog without a cause. It will be spastic, fibrillating. I make no promises as to continence, continuity, or congeniality. My commitment will be to uncommitted.

But Dave & I are about to begin another one of our trips. During our trips in the past, I’ve emailed friends and family while on the road. We’d find an internet café, or use the computer at the front desk of a hotel we were staying at, and we’d write our friends & family about our trip. My favorite were the emails which I know will arrive in people’s work inboxes on Monday mornings. It helps us savor the experience of "We're on vacation" because "You're not!"

But maintaining the email list is a nightmare. We’ve all be sold more than twice and companies no longer use names in the address, my fingers are too fat, more people have emails now & the emails bounce. Oyyy. That’s why I decided to start this “blog”. It’s easier than maintaining the distribution list. The drawback is that I’ll have to remember yet another new password.

No comments: