Sunday, February 22, 2009

Things Which Go Wrong Before and During "The Dream Trip"

Day 3 of the 5 week vacation in Italy - I sneezed & I couldn't straighten up.
head colds
sinus infections
blisters
popped ear drums b/c of aforesaid head colds while driving through the Italian alps as well as from descending airplanes after other passengers spritzed a fresh layer perfume over their otherwise travel-stinked body.
sore legs & thighs
vomiting (projectile & otherwise)
traveler's trots (including the explosive kind)

This time:

Friday evening our dog, Honey, climbed the stairs to the office. I was finishing up work. Dave had come home & was checking stuff on-line. Thirty minutes later, she's trying to stand up, but can't get out of a sitting position. Her head is canting to the left. Then her left front leg jerks up like she's going for a hand shake. Her rear right leg splays out from under her. She can't walk. We think she's having a stroke.

We took her to the emergency vet. There's a name for it, but "dizzy dog" is a simple name for something which apparently is like losing your inner ear balance. She actually spazzed out with so much force she flipped herself over. Her legs go everywhere and her head continues to twitch her to left. She won't drink, hasn't drunk since Friday. She won't eat. She's 16 1/2. She's older than our nephews.

We're headed back to the vet.


6 comments:

Cathy W. said...

Oh, poor thing. Let me know if I can do anything.

I hope you are on that plane, ready to fly away into your adventure. I love you guys and will miss you! Eat a bug for me. :) Pictures, many pictures....

HUGS!!

Marni, Robert, Zero, MaryJane and Grace said...

Hugs to you all...
16.5 years- wow it doesn't seem that long. Youv'e been really blessed.
I hope she is okay. Do you need anything?
Did you make your flight? Can't wait to see your photos and hear all about it.
Everyone here wishing you the best and slobbery kisses!

Andrea said...

Thank you guys for your wishes. We put Honey down on Sunday, though. She's still in our thoughts as we travel. It was good seeing y'all's comments. Thanks.
Love,
a&d

Sheila said...

Awww, I'm sad to hear that and feel bad that I'm just now reading it. I wish I could give you guys a big hug. I know how hard that is.
Warmest thoughts,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I know that you now have a small warrior angel with you on this trip.Honey walks with you on this trip. my love to you both.love,Rosy

Angel said...

So Sorry to hear this Andrea, but she is with you everywhere you go now. I am sure of it. Dogs have more soul then most humans I know! Enjoy your trip, take extra walks for Honey!