Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Street Scenes & Cabling

I work in telecommunications, which means I work with wires and cables and cabling. Cable management & dressing cable - these are to cabling what hair dressing is to heads of hair. My abilities with dressing cable tapped the same vein of talent I have with styling my hair.

I've never been accused of having a good hair day.



Street scene from the Old Quarter in Hanoi.

Those of you who work with cable management, wiring, data centers, networks, or even just have tried to connect a VCR, a DVD player, a stereo & a TV together play "Trace the Cable" with me. These are scenes from various parts of Vietnam. Not being the world's greatest photographer, I don't always get the focus exactly right, but hopefully they can give you a sense of how out of control the phone, TV, power & whatever else cabling was in the urban areas of Vietnam. It looked like I'd been cabling their network.

Sometimes the cable was draped so low I could touch the bottom cables just by walking under them.










Dead cables were oftentimes just cut and left hanging down in the middle of a sidewalk.














The smiling woman below was a fantastic, wonderful guide Thinh Le (in Vietnamese it would be Le Thi Thinh). Email me for her contact info if you're looking for someone who will take you out to eat fabulous bun cha or pho.

This is the remaining gate in Hanoi's original wall surrounding the city.

div>
But basically, cabling more than graffiti defaced some tremendously beautiful, or historical architectural details.














This is a temple down the street from our hotel in Hanoi.


















Cables hanging from all the windows of all the apartments in a building in Sai Gon.














Cable being moved from one location to another - they loop it & then hang it off of a guy on a motorbike.















Finally - one of The Most Popular mobile phone contenders. I swear they were on every street corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shudder. Work like that keeps me up at night. Then again I am totally OCD when it comes to cabling.